Mattel - Intellivision (FreeIntv)¶
FreeIntv is a libretro emulation core for the Mattel Intellivision designed to be compatible with joypads from the SNES era forward even if they originally required a number pad.
FreeIntv does not currently emulate Entertainment Computer System (ECS) and Intellivoice functionality. Contributions to the source are welcome!
The FreeIntv core has been authored by
- David Richardson
The FreeIntv core is licensed under
A summary of the licenses behind RetroArch and its cores can be found here.
Content that can be loaded by the FreeIntv core have the following file extensions:
RetroArch database(s) that are associated with the FreeIntv core:
Required or optional firmware files go in the frontend's system directory.
|exec.bin||Executive ROM - Required||62e761035cb657903761800f4437b8af|
|grom.bin||Graphics ROM - Required||0cd5946c6473e42e8e4c2137785e427f|
Frontend-level settings or features that the FreeIntv core respects.
|Netplay (State based)||✕|
|Cheats (Cheats menu)||✕|
The FreeIntv core's directory name is 'FreeIntv'
Geometry and timing¶
- The FreeIntv core's core provided FPS is 60
- The FreeIntv core's core provided sample rate is 44100 Hz
- The FreeIntv core's core provided aspect ratio is 11/7
Mattel Intellivision games were often meant to be played with game-specific cards overlaid on the numeric keypad. These overlays convey information which can be very useful in gameplay. Images of a limited selection of Intellivision titles are available at: http://www.intellivisionlives.com/bluesky/games/instructions.shtml
- Mini-Keypad - Allows the user to view and select keys from a small Intellivision pad in the lower corner of the display.
- Controller Swap - Some Intellivision games expect the left controller to be player one, others expect the right controller. This isn't a problem if you have two controllers (and don't mind juggling them) but users with only one controller or using a portable setup would be effectively locked out of some games. Controller Swap swaps the two controller interfaces so that the player does not have to physically swap controllers.
|Left Analog Stick||16-way disc|
|A||Left Action Button|
|Y||Top Action Button|
|X||Use the Last Selected Intellivision Keypad Button. In Astrosmash, for example, you can leave "3" selected to enable instant access to hyperspace.|
|L/R||Activate the Mini-Keypad|