Compilation in Linux and BSD¶
Compilation on Linux and BSD does not have many surprises, as its foundation is Unix-based.
- At least one libretro implementation
- Working OpenGL headers (should be included by default, but you might need to install libgl/mesa development packages)
- libxml2-devel - For XML shaders and cheat support.
- libcaca-devel - Color AsCii Art library
- freetype-devel - TTF font rendering
- ffmpeg/libavcodec - FFmpeg recording
- flac-devel - Free Lossless Audio Codec
- nvidia-cg-toolkit - Cg shaders
- slang-devel - Slang shaders
- qt5-qtbase-devel - For Qt GUI (Desktop)
Some other libraries can be built support for as well, please refer to
Satisfying dependencies under Fedora 23¶
sudo dnf install make automake gcc gcc-c++ kernel-devel mesa-libEGL-devel libv4l-devel libxkbcommon-devel mesa-libgbm-devel Cg libCg zlib-devel freetype-devel libxml2-devel ffmpeg-devel SDL2-devel SDL-devel perl-X11-Protocol perl-Net-DBus pulseaudio-libs-devel openal-soft-devel libusb-devel
Satisfying additional dependencies under Fedora 33¶
sudo dnf install egl-wayland-devel wayland-devel wayland-protocols-devel mesa-vulkan-devel libXxf86vm-devel flac-devel slang-devel libcaca-devel qt5-qtbase-devel
Satisfying dependencies under Debian/Ubuntu¶
apt-get -y install build-essential libxkbcommon-dev zlib1g-dev libfreetype6-dev libegl1-mesa-dev libgles2-mesa-dev libgbm-dev nvidia-cg-toolkit nvidia-cg-dev libavcodec-dev libsdl2-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libxml2-dev yasm
Satisfying dependencies under Alpine¶
apk add eudev-dev ffmpeg-dev freetype-dev g++ gcc libxml2-dev mesa-dev pkgconf zlib-dev
This list of packages may not be complete.
Getting the code¶
git clone git://github.com/libretro/libretro-super.git cd libretro-super SHALLOW_CLONE=1 ./libretro-fetch.sh
Building libretro cores¶
You should at least build one libretro implementation so RetroArch can do stuff.
There is a super-project that is designed to easily build every libretro port out there. To build every core:
Omit NOCLEAN=1 if you wish to perform "make clean" on every repo before building
Let's assume you'd like to install RetroArch into a folder called
mkdir -p ~/ra/cores cd retroarch make DESTDIR=~/ra install cd .. #to libretro-super directory ./libretro-install.sh ~/ra/cores
You should now have a fully functional RetroArch build in