SNES / Super Famicom (bsnes C++98 (v085))Link
Contribute to this documentationLink
In order to propose improvements to this document, visit its corresponding source page on github. Changes are proposed using "Pull Requests."
There is a To-Do list for libretro/docs here
bsnes c++98 is a special fork from around v085 that's been backported to work with older compilers. Many platforms Libretro supports such as various consoles (PlayStation 3) are stuck with super-old compilers that don't support the latest c++ features that are in the newer bsnes v094 ports.
Why use this core?Link
There's no reason to use this core now expect for edge cases on less compatible platforms.
How to get and install the bsnes C++98 (v085) core:Link
- Start up RetroArch. Inside the main menu, go to 'Online Updater'.
- Just to make sure we have the latest info files, select 'Update Core Info FIles'. Wait until this is done. Then, select 'Core Updater'.
- Browse through the list and select 'SNES / Super Famicom (bsnes C++98 (v085))'.
After this has finished downloading, the core should now be ready for use!
How to start (after installation):Link
- Go back to RetroArch's main menu screen. Select 'Load Content'.
Browse to the folder that contains the content you want to run.
Select the content that you want to run.
- If you are asked which core to select, choose 'SNES / Super Famicom (bsnes C++98 (v085))'.
The content should now start running!
- Ver GreenEyes
- SNES / Super Famicom (Beetle bsnes)
- SNES / Super Famicom (bsnes Accuracy)
- SNES / Super Famicom (bsnes Balanced)
- SNES / Super Famicom (bsnes Performance)
- SNES / Super Famicom (bsnes-mercury Accuracy)
- SNES / Super Famicom (bsnes-mercury Balanced)
- SNES / Super Famicom (bsnes-mercury Performance)
- SNES / Super Famicom (higan Accuracy)
- SNES / Super Famicom (nSide Balanced)
- SNES / Super Famicom (Snes9x 2002)
- SNES / Super Famicom (Snes9x 2005 Plus)
- SNES / Super Famicom (Snes9x 2005)
- SNES / Super Famicom (Snes9x 2010)
- SNES / Super Famicom (Snes9x)
A summary of the licenses behind RetroArch and its cores have found here.
The bsnes C++98 (v085) core is licensed under
Content that can be loaded by the bsnes C++98 (v085) core have the following file extensions:
RetroArch database(s) that are associated with the bsnes C++98 (v085) core:
- Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System
- Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System Hacks
- Nintendo - Sufami Turbo
RetroArch-level settings or features that the bsnes C++98 (v085) core respects.
The bsnes C++98 (v085) core's directory name is 'bSNES'
The bsnes C++98 (v085) core saves/loads to/from these directories.
RetroArch's Save directory
- 'content-name'.srm (Cartridge battery save)
RetroArch's State directory
- 'content-name'.state# (State)
Geometry and timingLink
- The bsnes C++98 (v085) core's internal FPS is 60 except for PAL games. PAL games are 50 fps.
- The bsnes C++98 (v085) core's internal sample rate is (Rate)
- The bsnes C++98 (v085) core's core provided aspect ratio is (Ratio)
The bsnes C++98 (v085) core supports the following device type(s) in the controls menu, bolded device types are the default for the specified user(s):
User 1 device typesLink
User 2 device typesLink
- None - Doesn't disable input.
- SNES Joypad - Joypad
- SNES Mouse - Mouse
- Multitap - Joypad - Allows for up to five players to play together in certain games.
- SuperScope - Lightgun
- Justifier - Lightgun
- Justifiers - Lightgun - Two Justifiers are plugged in, for two-player Justifier games.
Activating multitap support in compatible games can be configured by switching to the Multitap device type for User 2.
Joypad and analog device type tableLink
|User 1 - 5 Input descriptors||RetroPad Inputs||SNES Joypad / Multitap|
|D-Pad Up||D-Pad Up|
|D-Pad Down||D-Pad Down|
|D-Pad Left||D-Pad Left|
|D-Pad Right||D-Pad Right|
Mouse device type tableLink
|User 1 - 2 Input descriptors||RetroMouse Inputs||SNES Mouse|
|SNES Mouse Cursor|
|SNES Mouse Left Button|
|SNES Mouse Right Button|
Lightgun device type tableLink
|User 2 Input descriptors||RetroLightgun Inputs||SuperScope||Justifier(s)|
|Gun||SuperScope Crosshair||Justifier Crosshair|
|Gun Trigger||SuperScope Trigger||Justifier Trigger|
|Gun Cursor||SuperScope Cursor|
|Gun Turbo||SuperScope Turbo||Justifier Offscreen|
|Gun Pause||SuperScope Pause||Justifier Start|
All of the Super Scope games made by Nintendo have a soft-reset to the game's main title. This is accomplished by pausing the game, then, while holding Cursor, the Fire button must be pressed twice.