Downloading, Installing and Updating RetroArch for Android devices.¶
Downloading and installing¶
There are multiple ways of downloading RetroArch for your Android device. Depending on your Android phone's architecture, you may want to install 64 bit instead of 32 bit.
Installation via Google Play¶
- Open the Google Play Store app
- Note: you can also go to play.google.com
- Search for RetroArch.
- Select RetroArch then Download.
Installation via Website¶
Unknown Sources To avoid compromising the safety of your device, always use applications provided through our official channels.
- Go to www.retroarch.com then click Get RetroArch or click here on your device.
- Scroll down until Android section.
- Select either Download or Download (64bit).
There are several ways to determine if you have 64bit or 32bit version. You can use app like Antutu or AIDA64. You can still find out without app.
Kernel version. If the code inside contains x64 string, your device has a
64-bit OS; if you cannot find this string, then is 32-bit.
- Click on the downloaded APK file.
Before Android Oreo:
- Enter your device settings.
- Go to
- Find the
Unknown Sourcesoption and check the box. A warning will pop up which you should definitely read. Once done, hit
OKand this will enable you to install APKs from Unknown Sources.
After Android Oreo:
- Begin installation with a file browser or through the web browser.
- Android will tell you that
the app doesn’t have permission to install APKs. Click the available
Settingsbutton in that prompt.
- In the next menu, tick the box that lets that app install APKs.
Hit the back buttonto return to your installation.
Installation via F-Droid¶
This is our F-Droid app repository for RetroArch. You can add this repo via QR scanning the code below:
or by entering
https://fdroid.libretro.com in the F-Droid application.
You can also download older builds using
https://fdroid.libretro.com/archive as repository URL in the F-Droid application.
Download with Buildbot¶
You can either choose
Stable bundle, you can find a bundle with RetroArch, all the cores and all the assets here, and download
For Nightlies here - pick the latest version(based on date), and download
(where ... represents the date)