Game Boy Advance (VBA Next)Link
Contribute to this documentationLink
DOCUMENTATION IS A WORK IN PROGRESS
In order to propose improvements to this document, visit its corresponding source page on github. Changes are proposed using "Pull Requests."
There is a To-Do list for libretro/docs here
VBA-Next is a Game Boy Advance emulator based on VBA-M 2011 with backported patches for performance and compatibility improvements.
Why use this core?Link
How to install the VBA Next core:Link
- Start up RetroArch. Inside the main menu, go to 'Online Updater'.
- Just to make sure we have the latest info files, select 'Update Core Info FIles'. Wait until this is done. Then, select 'Core Updater'.
- Browse through the list and select 'Game Boy Advance (VBA Next)'.
After this has finished downloading, the core should now be ready for use!
How to start the (Core name) core:Link
- Go back to RetroArch's main menu screen. Select 'Load Content'.
Browse to the folder that contains the content you want to run.
Select the content that you want to run.
If you are asked which core to select, choose 'Game Boy Advance (VBA Next)'.
The content should now start running!
- VBA-M Team
- Game Boy Advance (Beetle GBA)
- Game Boy Advance (gpSP)
- Game Boy Advance (Meteor)
- Game Boy Advance (mGBA)
- Game Boy Advance (VBA-M)
A summary of the licenses behind RetroArch and its cores have found here.
The VBA Next core is licensed under
Content that can be loaded by the VBA Next core have the following file extensions:
RetroArch database(s) that are associated with the VBA Next core:
Required or optional firmware files go in RetroArch's system directory.
|gba_bios.bin||Game Boy Advance Image - Optional||a860e8c0b6d573d191e4ec7db1b1e4f6|
In order for the Game Boy Advance BIOS to be used, the 'Use bios if available' core option must be set to On.
RetroArch-level settings or features that the VBA Next core respects.
|Netplay||✔ (not link-cable emulation)|
The VBA Next core's directory name is 'VBA Next'
The VBA Next core saves/loads to/from these directories.
RetroArch's Config directory
- VBA Next.cfg (Core Overrides)
- 'content-name'.cfg (Game Overrides)
- 'content-name'.opt (Game-options)
RetroArch's Input Remapping directory
- VBA Next.rmp (Core Remap)
- 'content-name'.rmp (Game Remap)
RetroArch's Video Shader directory
- VBA Next.'shader-preset-extension' (Core Shader Preset)
- 'content-name'.'shader-preset-extension' (Game Shader Preset)
RetroArch's Save directory
- 'content-name'.srm (Cartridge battery save)
RetroArch's State directory
- 'content-name'.state# (State)
Geometry and timingLink
- The VBA Next core's core provided FPS is 59.727
- The VBA Next core's core provided sample rate is 32000 Hz
- The VBA Next core's core provided aspect ratio is 3/2
The VBA Next core has the following option(s) that can be tweaked from the core options menu. The default setting is bolded.
Settings with (Restart) means that core has to be closed for the new setting to be applied on next launch.
Use bios if available (Restart) (Off/On)
Self-explanatory. Look at the BIOS section for more information.
Use bios if available - On
The VBA Next core supports the following device type(s) in the controls menu, bolded device types are the default for the specified user(s):
User 1 device typesLink
- None - Doesn't disable input
- RetroPad - Joypad
- RetroPad w/Analog - Joypad - There's no reason to switch to this.
|User 1 Remap descriptors||RetroPad Inputs|
|Boktai Trilogy||The solar sensor is not emulated.|
|Croket! 2 – Yami no Bank to Banqueen||Heavy slowdown when approaching the snowman in the beginning.|
|Digimon Racing (Europe)||Freezes during the intro. This can be avoided by enabling linking in the standalone VBA-M release.|
|Drome Racers||Only shows a black screen after the THQ logo.|
|Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Games||Locks up if the opening cinematics aren’t skipped.|
|Hot Wheels - Stunt Track Challenge||Resets itself when trying to go in-game.|
|Jurassic Park III: Park Builder||Unreadable glitched text.|
|Koro Koro Puzzle Happy Panechu!||The tilt sensor is not emulated.|
|Moto GP||Black screen, loud screeching noise.|
|Phantasy Star Collection||Digital Eclipse logo sound effect is missing. Phantasy Star 1 flickers.|
|SSX 3||Graphics glitches. Seems pitch-related. (1)|
|Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World (Europe)||The program crashes during the final fight, when Bowser approaches (zoom mode 7)|
|WarioWare: Twisted!||The tilt sensor is not emulated.|
|Yoshi’s Universal Gravitation||The tilt sensor is not emulated.|