Game Boy / Game Boy Color (Gearboy)Link
Contribute to this documentationLink
DOCUMENTATION IS A WORK IN PROGRESS
In order to propose improvements to this document, visit its corresponding source page on github. Changes are proposed using "Pull Requests."
There is a To-Do list for libretro/docs here
Gearboy is a Nintendo Game Boy / GameBoy Color emulator written in C++.
Why use this core?Link
- Highly accurate CPU emulation, passes cpu_instrs.gb from blargg's tests.
- Accurate instruction and memory timing, passes instr_timing.gb and mem_timing.gb from blargg's tests.
- Memory Bank Controllers (MBC1, MBC2, MBC3 with RTC, MBC5), ROM + RAM and multicart cartridges.
- Accurate LCD controller emulation. Background, window and sprites, with correct timings and priorities including mid-scanline timing.
- Mix frames: Mimics the LCD ghosting effect seen in the original Game Boy.
- Sound emulation using SDL Audio and Gb_Snd_Emu library.
- Game Boy Color support.
- Integrated disassembler. It can dump the full disassembled memory to a text file or access it in real time.
- Saves battery powered RAM cartridges to file.
- Compressed rom support (ZIP deflate).
- Multi platform. Runs on Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Raspberry Pi and iOS.
How to install the Gearboy core:Link
- Start up RetroArch. Inside the main menu, go to 'Online Updater'.
- Just to make sure we have the latest info files, select 'Update Core Info FIles'. Wait until this is done. Then, select 'Core Updater'.
- Browse through the list and select 'Game Boy / Game Boy Color (Gearboy)'.
After this has finished downloading, the core should now be ready for use!
How to start the Gearboy core:Link
- Go back to RetroArch's main menu screen. Select 'Load Content'.
Browse to the folder that contains the content you want to run.
Select the content that you want to run.
If you are asked which core to select, choose 'Game Boy / Game Boy Color (Gearboy)'.
The content should now start running!
- Ignacio Sanchez
- Game Boy / Game Boy Color (Emux GB)
- Game Boy / Game Boy Color (Gambatte)
- Game Boy / Game Boy Color (SameBoy)
- Game Boy / Game Boy Color (TGB Dual)
- Game Boy Advance (mGBA)
- SNES / Super Famicom (higan Accuracy)
- SNES / Super Famicom (nSide Balanced)
A summary of the licenses behind RetroArch and its cores have found here.
The Gearboy core is licensed under
Content that can be loaded by the Gearboy core have the following file extensions:
RetroArch database(s) that are associated with the Gearboy core:
RetroArch-level settings or features that the Gearboy core respects.
The Gearboy core's directory name is 'Gearboy'
The Gearboy core saves/loads to/from these directories.
RetroArch's Config directory
- Gearboy.cfg (Core Overrides)
- 'content-name'.cfg (Game Overrides)
- 'content-name'.opt (Game-options)
RetroArch's Input Remapping directory
- Gearboy.rmp (Core Remap)
- 'content-name'.rmp (Game Remap)
RetroArch's Video Shader directory
- Gearboy.'shader-preset-extension' (Core Shader Preset)
- 'content-name'.'shader-preset-extension' (Game Shader Preset)
Geometry and timingLink
- The Gearboy core's core provided FPS is 59.727
- The Gearboy core's core provided sample rate is 44100 Hz
- The Gearboy core's core provided aspect ratio is (Ratio)
The Gearboy core supports the following device type(s) in the controls menu, bolded device types are the default for the specified user(s):
User 1 device typesLink
- None - Doesn't disable input.
- RetroPad - Joypad
- Nintendo Gameboy - Joypad
|User 1 Remap descriptors for 'Nintendo Gameboy' device type||RetroPad Inputs|